Man bitten by snake in lodge shower
Durban - A KwaZulu-Natal man says he got the fright of his life when a deadly spitting cobra crawled up a drain and into his shower at a game lodge and attacked him.
Marketing director for uShaka Marine World, Grant Adams, said it was like a scene from a movie, reported the Daily News.
Adams was taking a shower while visiting the lodge with family on Saturday when he suddenly felt a sharp pain in his ankle.
He jumped out of the shower and turned around to see the deadly snake about half a metre out of the drain pipe.
Game rangers identified the snake as a Mozambique spitting cobra and Adams was rushed to hospital.
A snake expert told his wife that he had three hours. The nearest hospital was in Richards Bay - an hour and a half away.
They arrived at the hospital 55 minutes later and Adams was given antivenom two-and-a-half hours after he was bitten. He was already starting to feel nauseous and hot.
Adams said he was lucky to be alive and was grateful that one of his children had not been in the shower when it happened.
He was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
- Have you had a similar experience? Share your experience with us.