Man cleared of child rape tells of ordeal

2013-08-28 11:02


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pietermaritzburg - A man cleared of raping a 6-year-old child has told of his 10-month ordeal.

The charges against the 45-year-old man, who cannot be named because this could help identify the child, were withdrawn in the Pietermaritzburg Regional Court on Tuesday after DNA evidence excluded him as a suspect in the rape.

He said for the past 10 months since the allegations surfaced he had lived in fear of his life, faced death threats, almost lost his marriage, had to live with scornful looks from neighbours as well as the humiliation of being labelled a rapist.

He told The Witness that on the day of the incident in November last year, he had been at his house drinking.

“Children were playing outside the house when I called the 6-year-old to change her clothing as she was wet because they were playing with water. I gave her my daughter’s clothes to wear and they continued playing outside,” he said.

He said he was later accused of raping the child.


"This shocked me as I treated the child like my own, as any parent would have done… I was arrested and everything changed in my life."

He said people had threatened to kill him, saying he had raped the child.

“I had to move away from my home after I was granted bail and my wife wanted to divorce me as she was also not sure what had happened on the day. She feared that I was going to rape our 9-year-old.”

He said he had been too embarrassed to attend church as people were judging him before the case had been finalised.

“I am not a rapist. They should accept that as a fact. The court vindicated me. I will have to focus on bonding with my family. This has put me through much pain and my family has taken strain,” he said.

He added that the incident had affected his entire family; children had teased his daughter at school saying that she was the child of a “rapist”.

“She is happy now that this is over, even though she asks if police will ever come again to arrest me.”

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Joey Jeevan confirmed that charges had been withdrawn as DNA results did not link the suspect to the crime.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  child abuse

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

ANC’s NEC must quit

41 minutes ago publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.