News24

Man dies, 67 homeless in Cape town fires

2012-05-18 17:18

Cape Town - A man was killed and 67 people left homeless in four separate fires in the Cape Town area this week, the City said on Friday.

A fire in Valhalla Park on Friday morning destroyed a house and displaced eight people, disaster risk management spokesperson Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said.

On Thursday evening, a man was killed when his shack caught fire in Monwabisi Park, Khayelitsha.

Earlier that day, a fire destroyed 11 shacks in the Fisantekraal informal settlement in Durbanville. A total of 37 people were left homeless.

Four flats and four backyard huts were razed on Wednesday night in Zone 9, Langa. Twenty-two people were displaced.

Solomons-Johannes said the city was providing food parcels, clothing, blankets and building materials for the fire victims. The cause of the fires was unclear.