Man, sons arrested for murder plot
Johannesburg - A businessman from Swale village near Burgersfort has been arrested along with his three sons for allegedly conspiring to kill a local resident, Limpopo police said on Sunday.
Spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said the 51-year-old man was arrested at his home on Saturday, while his three sons and two employees were rounded up during the course of the day.
Last year local residents accused the 51-year-old man of committing a ritual murder. He then allegedly tried to hire assassins in a bid to kill the man who had mobilised locals against him.
"On the 23rd of November last year, James Tebele, 48, went missing and his decomposed body was found on the 30th the same month.
"In retaliation, the community attacked the businessman after [he] was alleged to have been the last to person to be seen with the victim. His house was burnt and one of his shops was also pelted with stones."
Crime intelligence officers then set a trap posing as potential hitmen and were given a firearm together with R2 000, leading to the arrest of the six.
They were expected to appear in the Burgersfort Magistrate's Court on Monday charged with conspiracy to commit murder.
An inquest docket was opened after Tebele's body was found. Police were still awaiting the results of a forensic examination.
Three other men would appear in the same court in February charged with public violence related to the attack on the businessman's property.