Mandela Foundation won't give more info
Johannesburg - The Nelson Mandela Foundation declined to give any more information on former president Nelson Mandela's health on Saturday.
"All questions should be referred to the presidency. We cannot give you any more information, not even which hospital he is in," said the foundation's spokesperson Sello Hatang.
Earlier, President Jacob Zuma's spokesperson, Mac Maharaj, said that he was admitted to hospital.
"President Jacob Zuma wishes to advise that... Mandela was admitted to hospital today, 25 February 2012," the Presidency said in a statement.
"Madiba has had a long-standing abdominal complaint and doctors feel it needs proper specialist medical attention."
"We want to handle the matter with due regard to his privacy. We will give you updates as soon as we have any," he said.
The presidency wished him a speedy recovery.
"...we assure him [Mandela] of the love and good wishes of all South Africans and people throughout the world."
In January 2011, following false postings on Twitter that Mandela had died, fellow Nobel peace laureate Desmond Tutu described the former president as "frail".
Days later, on January 26, Mandela was admitted to a Johannesburg hospital for what a Nelson Mandela Foundation spokesperson described as "routine tests".
It later emerged that Mandela, 93, had suffered from a respiratory infection.
Mandela moved to his home town of Qunu in the Eastern Cape a few days before his 93rd birthday in July last year.
The presidency announced at the end of January this year that he would be returning back to his Johannesburg home in Houghton because "maintenance has to be undertaken at his Qunu home in the Eastern Cape", according to Maharaj.
"The former president continues to be in good health. We once more appeal for his privacy and that of his family to be respected," said Maharaj.