Mandela remains found

2013-07-03 18:34
(Michael Kimberley, via Twitter)

(Michael Kimberley, via Twitter)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The remains of three of former president Nelson Mandela's children, who were buried in Mvezo, were found on Wednesday evening, Eastern Cape police said.

"All three's remains have been found and have been put into the different hearses," police spokesperson Mzukisi Fatyela said.

"They were found in the same area but they were unmarked."

He said the remains were being taken to a mortuary.

Earlier in the day, the ailing icon's grandson Mandla Mandela, who is also the Mvezo chief, lost a challenge against a court order instructing him to rebury the remains in Qunu.

The Eastern Cape High Court later also dismissed an application by Mandla to have the earlier order rescinded.

Mandla exhumed the graves of the three children in 2011 and reburied their remains in Mvezo.

Mandla's lawyer said it was illegal for the Mandela family to exhume the remains because there was no one at Mvezo to show them where the remains were, and the graves were not clearly marked.

Health officials started digging for the remains in the early evening after officials from the sheriff of the court's office broke open a gate to Mvezo village to gain access to the graves.

ENCA cameras filmed an official using a pick-axe to force open the gate.

Three hearses and police vans entered the village.

They were to transport the remains of three of Mandela's children from Mvezo, where he was born, to Qunu, where he grew up.

Mandela's eldest surviving daughter Makaziwe Mandela and grandson Ndaba Mandela reportedly arrived at Mvezo along with the officials from the health department.

On Tuesday, criminal charges were laid against Mandla over the exhumation and reburial.

Fatyela said a case of tampering with a grave had been opened.

"The investigation started yesterday [Tuesday] after the case was opened," he said.

Fatyela said members of the Mandela family laid the charge, but declined to name them.

Mandela remained critically ill on Wednesday in a Pretoria hospital, where he is being treated for a recurring lung infection.

Read more on:    nelson mandela  |  mandla mandela  |  east london  |  mandela graves saga
NEXT ON NEWS24X

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
46 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

The moon moves into your sign today emphasising your brilliant fast paced and innovative mind. Nervous tension can be a problem if...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.