Mandla Mandela warrant withdrawn
Johannesburg - A warrant for the arrest of former president Nelson Mandela's grandson, Mandla Mandela, has been withdrawn, Eastern Cape police said on Tuesday.
"After consultation, it was decided that the warrant of arrest should be withdrawn and a warning statement be obtained from Chief Mandla Mandela," Lieutenant Colonel Sibongile Soci said.
According to reports, a warrant for his arrest was issued on Friday after the Mvezo chief failed to appear in court on charges of bigamy.
Soci said on Tuesday a docket would be submitted to a senior public prosecutor for a decision whether to prosecute Mandela.
"In the event that the senior public prosecutor decides to prosecute, due process will follow."
Mandela's first wife, Thando Mabuna-Mandela, laid a charge of bigamy against Mandela in December last year, after he defied a court order not to marry a Pietermaritzburg woman, Mbali Makhathini.
The pair began divorce proceedings in 2008, after marrying in community of property in 2004.
Mabuna-Mandela's lawyer, Wesley Hayes, reportedly said she had also succeeded in getting a court order compelling Mandela to disclose his financial interests and how much his estate was worth.
She wanted to know, among other things, whether Mandela had sold the rights to his grandfather's funeral.