Marikana miners yet to apply for release

2012-09-03 16:05
Picture: <a href=>Shutterstock</a>

Picture: Shutterstock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


Marikana miners charges dropped

2012-09-03 11:57

The National Prosecuting Authority has provisionally withdrawn murder charges against the Marikana miners. WATCH

Ga-Rankuwa - An application for release from custody was yet to be brought by 140 Marikana miners in the Ga-Rankuwa Magistrate's Court by mid afternoon on Monday.

By 15:00 National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Vuyisile Calaza said the authorities had located 91 of the miners at various correctional facilities to bring them to court.

He said lawyers would try to finalise all the paperwork before the end of the day.

The NPA said on Sunday that the physical addresses of these miners had been confirmed, and they could apply to be released on warning.

"Those whose physical residential addresses have not been confirmed by the police will remain in custody until the next court appearance which is, Thursday, 6 September 2012," the NPA said.

The 140 mineworkers were among 270 arrested for public violence after the police opened fire on a group of protesting workers, killing 34 of them and wounding 78 near Lonmin's Marikana platinum mine on 16 August.

Ten people, including two policemen and two security guards, were killed in the preceding week.

Public outcry

Last week, prosecutors said the men arrested would be charged with the murder and attempted murder of their colleagues, but the charges were provisionally withdrawn on Sunday after a public outcry.

"The murder charge against the current 270 suspects... will be formally withdrawn provisionally in court on their next court appearance," said acting national deputy director of public prosecutions advocate Nomgcobo Jiba. "Other provisional charges will remain."

Jiba told reporters in Pretoria on Sunday that the workers would be released in phases.

"The protesters are to be released conditionally on a warning and their case postponed pending the finalisation of investigations, including the investigations by the commission."

Jiba said the police would work around the clock to verify the addresses of the other 130 mineworkers who would remain in custody.

She said the decision to bring murder charges against them had been based on a "sound legal principle", which had been part of the legal system for decades.


"The NPA has applied the principle in many cases before. Its application to this specific case would, therefore, not be unique," she said.

The murder charges were brought by the director of public prosecutions (DPP) in the North West, Johan Smit SC.

He told reporters that he had evidence that armed workers went to the hilltop in Marikana to attack the police.

"It was desirable for me to put the charges in," he said, before lashing out at a journalist for asking questions about the origins of his evidence.

Jiba said DPPs were responsible for prosecutions in their jurisdiction and had the legislative mandate to make the primary decision.

She said the decision on the final charges would be made once the judicial inquiry made its findings.

The NPA was also awaiting the completion of the investigation into the matter.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    lonmin  |  npa  |  mining unrest
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

'England can't afford me', jokes Gatland
Boot boys Biggar, Foley set for showdown
Wales seek to end woeful Wallaby run
De Allende's star burns bright
Traffic Alerts

It is always easier to notice the faults in others rather than face our own. Focusing too much on the perfect and ideal more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.