Plan a collective effort, inquiry hears

2013-05-20 17:00
(Picture: Sapa)

(Picture: Sapa)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rustenburg - The police's operational plan for the Marikana unrest was a compilation of the input of all the commanders, involved in the mission to disperse and disarm the striking workers, the Farlam Commission of Inquiry heard on Monday.

Major General Charl Annandale denied that the so-called "Scott plan" was the work of only one policeman, Lieutenant Colonel Duncan Scott.

However, Dumisa Ntsebeza, for the families of the deceased miners, put it to him that the reluctance to admit it was Scott's plan was because "professionally, he wasn't the person meant to formulate the plan for Marikana".

"You decided on Scott because he had certain qualities... There's nowhere [in Scott's statement and plan] that says what input from [the police commanders] he used in the plan," said Ntsebeza.

Scott had also frequently used the term "I" in the plan.

Annandale told the commission, which is sitting at the Rustenburg civic centre, he did not know why Scott had omitted to credit the commanders for their input.

Earlier, Ntsebeza asked Annandale whether he would have been prepared to reveal anything to the commission that would embarrass the police.

"Would you be prepared, since you are under oath and have vowed to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing else but the truth, to break rank and say [the video material does exist]?" asked Ntsebeza.

Video footage

He was referring to video footage he claimed police might have failed to hand in to the commission because they feared it would incriminate them.

Most of the video material used in the commission was taken from the media.

"It's remarkable that all the material we have is from sources other than the police," said Ntsebeza.

Annandale said he had indeed been true to the oath he made to the commission.

The commission, which is chaired by retired Judge Ian Farlam, is investigating the circumstances surrounding the deaths of 44 people killed in the unrest last year.

Police shot dead 34 striking mineworkers in Marikana on 16 August.

Ten people, including two police officers, were killed in the preceding week.

Read more on:    police  |  ian farlam  |  mahikeng  |  marikana inquiry

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.