Marikana workers still face charges for 2012

2014-05-20 20:43
(Picture: AFP)

(Picture: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Criminal charges stemming from the August 2012 Marikana shooting still exist and Lonmin mineworkers continue to appear in court for them, the Marikana Support Campaig said on Tuesday.

"The charges have never been dropped. They have expanded," campaign spokesperson Rehad Desai said.

"Court dates have been re-scheduled continuously to coincide with the expected end of Farlam Commission of Inquiry."

On 16 August 2012, 34 people, mostly striking miners, were shot dead and 78 people were wounded when police fired on a group gathered near Lonmin's mine at Marikana, near Rustenburg, North West, while allegedly trying to disarm and disperse them.

In the preceding week, 10 people, including two policemen and two security guards, were killed in strike-related violence.

The commission, led by retired Judge Ian Farlam, is probing the deaths of the 44.

Initially 270 Lonmin miners were arrested on charges of murder and attempted murder.

In September 2012, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) announced it would provisionally withdraw the charges and release the miners on a warning.


On Tuesday, Desai said the murder and attempted murder charges had never been dropped.

He said more than 270 workers had been appearing in different courts for different crimes during the course of this week.

Some faced charges of public violence and intimidation, others charges of murder and attempted murder.

Some charges related to the killings in the week preceding the 16 August shooting.

Desai said due to the large number of workers, they appeared in different courts on different days.

The SABC reported that some of them appeared in the Ga-Rankuwa Magistrate's Court, north of Pretoria, on Tuesday.

They were charged with public violence, illegal gathering, possession of dangerous weapons, and intimidation.

NPA spokesperson Nathi Ncube said: "I cannot comment. I am not aware of a decision to recharge anyone."

He would look into the matter and comment later.

Read more on:    lonmin  |  police  |  npa  |  ian farlam  |  pretoria  |  marikana inquiry

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Miley Cyrus can’t get enough of her new puppy

Miley's new dog is too adorable.



13 guilty pets
Meet SA's top poacher-catcher
The unusual pets of Instagram
Bertie sets a new world record!

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts

The Leo moon adds an element of drama and entertainment. A significant person that you may consult or confide in may play more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.