Marzanne accused awaiting extradition
Johannesburg - One of the three men who allegedly assaulted baby Marzanne Kruger and her nanny, Francina Sekhu, in 2010, is still in custody in Mozambique, Beeld reported on Friday.
There was little hope of extraditing Chakhoma Machaba, it said.
The other two suspects, Nelson Maphosa, 29, and Gerald Nyantumbo, 26, are on trial in the Johannesburg District Court, on charges of robbery and attempted murder in the Kruger home in April of that year.
Both have pleaded not guilty.
They were caught with goods stolen from the Kruger home, but claimed that Machaba had assaulted both Sekhu and the baby.
Machaba was arrested shortly after the incident in Mozambique.
Justice department spokesperson Herman van Eeden told the court on Thursday that there was no extradition agreement between Mozambique and South Africa.
Van Eeden said his department was trying to establish whether Mozambique's laws made it possible to request extradition without a formal agreement.
Sekhu testified earlier this week that she remembered little of the attack.
Madelein Kruger, Marzanne's mother, told the court that her daughter, who is turning 3 in April, is recovering well.
She was left blind after the attack, but has managed to partially regain her sight.