Mchunu takes stand against cable thefts

2014-06-16 11:13
Senzo Mchunu (File, Sapa)

Senzo Mchunu (File, Sapa)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - KwaZulu-Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu will launch a campaign against illegal power connections and cable thefts that have led to numerous deaths, The Witness reported on Monday.

According to the report, on average two cable thieves are electrocuted each month in the country.

In the last two months in informal settlements North of Durban alone, seven children and one adult had been killed.

Telkom investigator Barbara Cloete said the deaths sometimes went unreported.

"We are getting reports that a number of children are being electrocuted when they step on live illegal connection lines, and then just being buried without the death being reported."

Mchunu confirmed this.

"Many communities who are afraid of being reprimanded by authorities are concealing such cases of death. This includes syndicates that are involved in cable theft."

Mchunu was concerned about the increasing number of unclaimed bodies in provincial morgues and unexplained deaths, which could be related to cable theft. He resolved that a task team should be established to investigate the causes of death for unclaimed bodies.

Mchunu’s spokesperson Ndabezinhle Sibiya said a campaign would be launched this week to tackle the economic and human costs of cable theft and that Mchunu would personally visit the areas affected.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    senzo mchunu  |  durban  |  electricity  |  crime
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Lood leads heavy Bok assault
Hosts England crash out of RWC
Cotter takes loss on the chin
'Basic' Bok plan worked well
Traffic Alerts

Spontaneity is the order of the day. Let go and have some fun. Try not to set too many set plans and expectations and enjoy more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.