Metrorail accident victims out of hospital
Johannesburg - At least 155 people, who were injured in a train accident in Gauteng, have been discharged from hospital, Metrorail said on Saturday.
Twenty-four others who sustained serious injuries were still receiving medical care, said spokesperson Lillian Mofokeng.
One person died and more than 200 people were injured on Friday afternoon when two Metrorail trains collided.
"We are devastated by the loss of our train driver and would like to offer our condolences to the family and co-workers," said the operator's Gauteng manager Tembela Kulu.
Counselling was offered to those involved in the accident and their families.
Tshwane city spokesperson William Baloyi said fire and emergency personnel worked throughout the night to clear the wreckage from the scene.
It was not immediately clear whether the railway line had been reopened.
Both trains were travelling from Mabopane to Pretoria when it collided between Akasiaboom and Winternest stations.
The cause of the accident was still unknown but authorities were investigating.
On arrival at the accident scene, Netcare 911 said it found that both coaches had derailed and two carriages had overturned.