Miss World to cost Joburg R45m

2009-11-05 09:23

Johannesburg - It will cost the Johannesburg city council about R45m to entertain the world's most beautiful women next month.

The Miss World competition will be held in Johannesburg for the second consecutive time this year. The crowning event, with about 120 beauties, will take place at Gallagher Estate in Midrand on December 12.

Virgil James, spokesperson for the City of Johannesburg, confirmed that the council had to pay R45m to host the pageant.

Victor Penning, the DA caucus leader, said the council had to pay a deposit of about R30m to the Miss World title as guarantee that they would host the event. He said the council exceeded its budget for this competition and for the Confederations Cup by R12m last year.

Marketing campaign

The biggest part of the budget overrun was due to the hosting of the Miss World competition, he added.

"The amount (R45m) is not only to host the event, but also for large marketing campaigns to attract international interest and for expenses like travel and accommodation costs."

James said the hosting of the Miss World competition created huge opportunities for the host city to improve the country's image worldwide.

"November and December are usually quiet months for Johannesburg. This event will cause more visitors to come to the city, to stay longer and spend more money," said James.

  • busi - 2009-11-05 09:35

    Is it really worth it???? I mean R45 m

  • Jinxie - 2009-11-05 09:38

    Seriously ... As we are all going to be paying our hard-earned taxes for this spectacle, I think SARS should come up with a document that has check boxes in it where one could decide on what you would prefer to spend your taxes on! Like schools, hospitals, parks and safety! I work to pay for this?????

  • Nic d C - 2009-11-05 09:52

    Great stuff. The city needs this kind of event during this time of year. It's not only good for our city, but the economy needs it. Best of luck to the organisers!!!

  • varo - 2009-11-05 09:57

    i think its a waste they vouldve given it to cape town or durban this our places gp is for bussiness im a pretorian but would like to see this kind of event in cpt or durbs cause we are administration and bussiness citties not for the holliday maker or so especialy during holliday times a waste of money for gauteng ja

  • portia - 2009-11-05 09:58

    so 45 million is being popped out according to my understanding the country is in recession so where does all this monies come from and if it wasnt about the pagent where would that monies have gone to corruption is rive hey people are playing when there is really a crisis in this country.

  • Thato - 2009-11-05 10:00

    We are facing a serious challenge in this country, our councils can prioritize. We are facing serious issues of service delivery as we speak and we can still afford to splash out R45 million for entertainment?

  • ockert - 2009-11-05 10:02

    We seem to be the only country in the world that has money to spend on causes that produce losses. Guys there is a reccession out there even here in the "Jungle"

  • Dee - 2009-11-05 10:08

    What a cimplete and utter waste of taxpayers money!!!!!

  • DUNCAN - 2009-11-05 10:14

    44 million will be stolen! Then an investigation will be held; the thieves will resign. Fait acompli!

  • CDP - 2009-11-05 10:18


  • Shorts - 2009-11-05 10:23

    So this is where my monthly rates etc are being wasted !!! It is just an ego-boosting exercise by those who have nothing better to do, and are intellectually incapable of understanding that the genuine needs of their residents are critically much more important than wasting money on this totally meaningless international cow show !!!

  • Local tour operator - 2009-11-05 10:24

    The thruth is that the Miss World competition has already for years been a non-event, and can only be sold by the organizers to developing countries or very gullible politicians keen to promote their self image. In many overseas countries the competition hardly gets a mentioning, and the television figures given are highly inflated. It's a scam of major proportions, slightly more obvious than what FIFA and their Match organisation are doing to the local economy. Again the poor are paying the price for another political egotrip.

  • Sam - 2009-11-05 10:30

    This is a show that will teach our girls how to become anorexic bulimic and image conscious while many of the children in Jozi do not get a decent meal. I’ve seen children dying from malnutrition a few kilometres from where this event will take place. I wonder how much food and clothes R45 000 000.00 could provide to the poor kids in the streets?

  • Nats - 2009-11-05 10:39

    Government could use the money so much better on the poor, education and housing, instead of wasting it on entertaing girls in bikinis that all say they want "world peace"...

  • jj - 2009-11-05 10:40

    WHAT RECESSION??? Hell South Africa we need to start thinking of the poor and our own!!!

  • JSC - 2009-11-05 10:57

    Everyone who is someone organises an event and the taxpayer has to cough up. The taxpayer then do not even have the opportunity to attend. This is plain theft and abuse of public money.

  • Lotus - 2009-11-05 11:14

    I would lie to see a viable proposal for the return on investment. Where does the city expect this influx of spending to be - which sectors of the city will see the benefit.

  • kolobe - 2009-11-05 11:18

    good work.investing in jhb

  • Marketwatcher - 2009-11-05 11:24

    Dee, Duncan, CDP dont be so negative. This will be an ideal opportunity to find brides for yourselves. Which will certainly help to relieve your personal frustrations.

  • Matt - 2009-11-05 11:28

    Looking at the bigger picture this is good for SA - the more positive exposure we get the better for us all from a investment and tourism point of view. Personally - I dont mind my tax money going towards promoting our country! I think the government should down grade on their cars to contribute to this!

  • richie - 2009-11-05 11:31

    Now I know where they got this money, since may this year COJ has nailed residents with cut-off and re-connection fees, sometimes illegal, but cleverly chaging the by-laws to skip the law, it was confirmed in the randbrg sun that +-R 45 mio has been generated by COJ this year on Cut-off and re-connection fees........nice one , especially when alot of those victims , were paid up when cut-off..........TAB -Thats africa babes

  • Getting fed up - 2009-11-05 11:42

    @Local tour operator
    I agree with you fully. How gullible can we be really. This 45mil, could've gone a long way in helping local people in need of it. This includes for e.g. fuding a lot of genuine business people who are trying to contribute to the economy. As a taxpayer, I am really getting fed up with waste of money in this country. I speak for SA coz I live here. We need to stop comparing ourselves to other countries and do what is best for US (excuse the pun).

  • Oh NO! - 2009-11-05 11:47

    @Matt... What? You dont mind R45mil spent on a beauty pageant...??? When there are so many kids who need a better education... Is education not going to promote OUR country? What about crime? How about proper training and remuneration for all the policemen, healthcare workers... Hell, how about giving that money to Eskom or the SABC so that we don't have to pay that extra 1% tax. Jeezzz guys, you act like you have not been living in this country. Oh, I could be right you know :(

  • boychild - 2009-11-05 11:50

    Please tell me what happened to the Coucil Departments to cut ore than a billion rand from their budgets to pay for the shortfall on the 2010 stadium.... now where did the extra R45mil pop up from...

  • crazydean - 2009-11-05 12:00

    ARE YOU KIDDING ME ????? R45 Million .... we really do have a bunch of idiots playing with our purse strings... How many houses could that give to the needy? how many people could we feed with that. How much coal could we buy to stop the electricity shortage. How many people could we educate?........ Yeah, go on, lets rather use R45million for 120 girls to prance around on a stage. What a bunch of chops!!!

  • AM - 2009-11-05 12:01

    Just imagine how many bursaries would be paid with that amount of money! I know of kids who are failing to secure bursaries for their studies and now this?

  • crazydean - 2009-11-05 12:08

    @Matt, Youre' a chop too..... Do you work in the government. Moron. IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY FOR GOODNESS SAKES.
    Give it to the people that need it.
    It's about time our government has independant auditors handle the country's money. Least it will be used in the right places without the theft and corruption.

  • Anna - 2009-11-05 12:21

    The only reason the pagent was offered to SA was because the rest of the world are sensible in cutting costs in the recession. They knew our idiotic government would be gullable enough to accept it to get the publicity. You don't need a Miss World pagent to get attention, our country is the laughing stock of the world and we get enough publicity....

  • ProudlySA - 2009-11-05 12:54

    Great my council arranges young women to flock to this country and I am gay... what another waste of money...

  • Jordan - 2009-11-05 12:56

    YIPEEEE! Another useless programme on SABC...I CAN'T WAIT!

  • jo - 2009-11-05 12:57

    why don't they use the money to pay Eskom!!!!

  • Sbonelo - 2009-11-05 13:05

    It is amazing the negativity about such a prestegious event being held in our country.
    A Certain bunch of people say good and certain people say what a waste, our useless government, we are 3rd world blaa blaa blaa. Be happy that we were even offered it, it just goes to show that maybe SA is not such a "crime ridden country" afterall. Funny how we got the worldcup, pro20 cricket and world pageant among other things. Those that are unhappy should pack their bags and head for the promised land, Australia!
    We have been offered more since 1994 than we ever have so put that in your colonial pipe and smoke it.

  • Linda - 2009-11-05 13:13

    Good grief - the George, Knysna areas are faced with upcoming drought and need money!!!!!!

  • joey - 2009-11-05 13:15

    stop complaining, it won't change a thing, next election just get enough people interested to vote for a better government.

  • WTF - 2009-11-05 13:51

    I think it's an EXCELLENT opportunity for SA! We should be proud that SA can host a global event like this! I don't mind paying more tax in order to make this event possible! This is EXCELLENT exposure for our country!

  • nic - 2009-11-05 14:16

    Hahaha! I love it!
    This Government Rocks!
    Hahahaha! Peeps voted for this government!
    WASTE all the money you can!!

  • AFS - 2009-11-05 14:20

    45 million is not something to smile about. However, the Miss World Pageant is still the most prestigious of them all and reaches more than 1 billion people around the world. If you watched the 2008 edition that was also held in SA, you would've seen that the host country gets excellent exposure. I HAVE NEVER EVER HEARD THE WORD JOBURG MENTIONED SO MANY TIMES IN 2 HOURS. It was a 2 hour long commercial for South Africa. Most fans were extremely nervous proclaiming that the girls will probably be attacked or robbed. People asked how can the girls even be sent to such a violent place. Jhb showed the world that South Africa and especially the City of Gold is not all about violence, crime and murders. Oh and the non-event as you call it helped increase the tourism in Sanya, China by more than 400%.

  • yerk - 2009-11-05 15:31

    It was me I would give the money to Eskom.

  • pages:
  • 1
Report Comment