News24

Molefe appointment unlawful: SABC

2010-05-23 23:00

Cape Town - The appointment of Phil Molefe as SABC head of news was unlawful, the public broadcaster's board said on Sunday.

"The SABC board resolved that the purported appointment of the group executive news and current affairs head, Mr Phil Molefe is null and void and has no legal effect," spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said.

The statement follows a board meeting held on Saturday after Molefe's appointment on Thursday. Molefe had been acting in the position for a year.

"In a special board meeting held yesterday (Saturday) the board heard legal opinion that the appointment was not lawful because it had not been made by the board in a manner required by the SABC's memorandum and articles of association.

"The articles of association and delegation of authority framework states that appointments at a group executive level must be made by the board," Kganyago said.

The ten members of the 12 member board who attended the meeting on Saturday agreed to continue with the "process of assessing candidates, that had not yet been concluded".

"The decision taken by the board is not intended to harm or prejudice any candidate but is solely aimed at conforming to corporate governance rules.

"It should be stressed that the board regrets any embarrassment to any of the candidates for the position of chief executive news and current affairs," he said.