Molefe remains on special leave
Johannesburg - SABC head of news Phil Molefe remained on special leave on Monday, pending the outcome of his meeting with the broadcaster's chief executive officer Lulama Makhobo.
"The meeting has not happened yet. I am not aware that there is a meeting scheduled between them, but there is a board meeting today," SA Broadcasting Corporation spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said.
Last Tuesday, Kganyago confirmed Molefe had been placed on special leave pending the outcome of a meeting. He said at the time he would not comment on the reasons behind the move, which drew widespread reaction from various groups.
On Wednesday, the ANC Youth League questioned the SABC's decision, claiming it was because Molefe had given embattled ANCYL president Julius Malema too much air time, as reported by The Star newspaper.
"It is becoming clearer now that Makhobo was appointed to pursue factional agendas in the SABC, and not fulfil the public broadcasting mandate of the SABC," the league said.
On Thursday, Molefe denied that he was placed on leave because of his alleged political allegiances.
"I wish to place it on record that I do not back any political side or party across the political spectrum," he said in a statement.
"As a professional, my role is to ensure that all sides of a story are reflected in news output."