Mom awarded damages from Shoprite
Port Elizabeth - An Eastern Cape woman was awarded R100 000 from Shoprite Checkers after a box of frozen vegetables fell on her, the Daily Dispatch reported on Thursday.
The Eastern Cape High Court in Port Elizabeth made the award in favour of 46-year-old Delene Minnie Adams, who had originally sued for R300 000. In June 2008 a tower of boxes containing frozen vegetables fell over in one of the aisles in Shoprite, Cleary Park, striking the Port Elizabeth mother on her right shoulder.
Adams alleged that Shoprite staff had acted negligently when they failed to pack the vegetables away or warn shoppers to be cautious around the stack of boxes.
Doctors testified that Adams had sustained bruised neck muscles, fibromyalgia (tenderness in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue), reduced movement of her right shoulder and neck, and shoulder spasms and pain in her right shoulder.
The mother of three worked at a battery factory and therefore spent most of her day standing.
She could no longer carry heavy parcels or conduct some household activities.
The cost of future medical expenses and general damages were to be determined by the court.