News24

More evacuated in E Cape flooding

2012-07-15 17:24

Johannesburg - The number of those evacuated from their homes as a result of flooding has risen to almost 2 000, the Nelson Mandela Bay municipality said on Sunday.

"The number of evacuations increased from 740 on Saturday night to almost 2 000 this Sunday morning due to flooding. More moderate showers are expected today [Sunday]," said spokesperson Kupido Barron.

The municipality said areas such as Kleinskool, Salt Lake, Missionvale, Nooitgedacht (Booysen Park), Motherwell, Kuyga and Wells Estate were the worst affected.

Many areas are still without electricity. The municipality said it was working on restoring the power.

The areas included Van Stadens, Gamtoos, Tembani, Butterfield, Greenbushes, Theescombe, Seaview, Blue Horizon Bay, Mill Park, Forest Hill, Summerstrand-Vigne Street, and Westering.

The SABC reported that the snowfall and rain led to more road closures in the province. These were the Penhoek Pass on the N6 road between Queenstown and James Town, Wapads Pass on the R61 between Cradock and Graaff Reinet, Boesman Hoek Pass on the R397 and the Lootsberg Pass between Graaff-Reinet and Middleberg.

The Langkloof road as well as the road to St Francis Bay, where a bridge was swept away last year, have also been closed.

"We would like to reiterate the call to residents to remain safely indoors as even more showers will cause water levels to rise quickly," said Barron.

Comments
  • nico.loubser.9 - 2012-07-15 18:44

    I do understand that the DA was asked to assist them (eastern cape) re the flooding.

  • melony.hendricks - 2012-07-15 18:56

    the say we were lucky. could have been worse. what do THEY know. easy to speak when you have a roof over your head

      dakey.ras.73 - 2012-07-15 19:00

      Look at Japan.

  • pages:
  • 1