More 'lifers' for violence against women, kids

2014-11-26 05:30

(File) (Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The number of people serving life sentences for violence against women and children has increased dramatically since 2010, President Jacob Zuma said on Tuesday.

A total of 1 832 perpetrators were currently serving life sentences, he said at the launch of the 16 days of activism for no violence against women and children, held in Reiger Park, Johannesburg.

"Today we want to send a clear message to the public. Abusers, murderers, rapists, have no place in our society."

The government intended to reduce the secondary trauma often suffered by victims of violence, he said.

An effort was being made to speed up the court process for these cases.

"We believe we are making progress as government in the fight against this scourge."

He admitted, however, that much more needed to be done and that communities needed to unite to make the theme of the campaign "count me in" come alive.

After Zuma's address, he, along with other officials, campaign ambassadors, and members of the public signed the pledge for no violence against women and children.

Afterwards, the gathering was informed that Zuma had gone to meet the three Reiger Park families who had lost their children to violent crime in the past year.

The 16 days campaign is held once a year to help prevent and highlight violence against women and children.

Recently 3-year-old Cuburne Lavone van Wyk went missing, and his burnt body was found at a mine dump in Ramaphosa, Reiger Park.

A man was arrested and is due in court again in December.

The body of 10-year-old Siphamandla Madikane, from the Ramaphosa settlement, was found by a passer-by also at a mine dump in November last year.

Taegrin Morris, 4, from Delmore Gardens, near Reiger Park, died after his parents' car was hijacked.
He got stuck in the seatbelt and was dragged along the road and later found dead.

Earlier in November, the Boksburg Magistrate's Court withdrew all charges against Thamsanqa Twala, who had been accused of involvement in the death of the child, infuriating the community.

On Monday Gauteng Premier David Makhura and a team of representatives of various departments met residents to discuss ways of dealing with the problems they faced.

Read more on:    johannesburg  |  crime  |  prisons

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.