Moyo escape trial delayed again
Pretoria - Serial robbery accused Bongani Moyo's trial for allegedly escaping from custody was postponed again in the Pretoria Regional Court on Friday.
The matter was moved to March 1 as the Legal Aid Board has appointed a new advocate, Donald Somo, to represent Moyo.
Somo requested the delay, saying he had not had sufficient time to consult with Moyo.
"I haven't fully consulted the accused on the merits of this matter. At this stage I do not have the merits regarding the case. I will make it my business to do it starting this coming week," said Somo.
Moyo did not say much during Friday's appearance but stared attentively at the magistrate.
Wearing a black leather jacket and in handcuffs and leg irons, Moyo was escorted into the courtroom by several members of the police tactical response team.
During his previous appearance, Moyo told the court that he had escaped from custody in August last year because an unnamed policeman had threatened to kill him.
"I am not guilty. The policeman said he was going to kill me that day if I did not go out with him to point out some people. When he had gone back into the courtroom, I stood up and left."
Moyo told the court he was scared the policeman was going to carry out the threat.
"I did not know the people he wanted me to show him and I didn't know what to do.
"My co-accused [in the string of robbery charges] even told me that I was going to be killed. The policeman had told them earlier," said Moyo.
The Zimbabwean made international headlines when he escaped from the court while on crutches. He was arrested three weeks later.
Earlier, in March 2011, Moyo had slipped out of Boksburg prison. He was arrested almost three months later near the Beitbridge border post in Limpopo as he returned from Zimbabwe.
In a separate matter in the same court, Moyo was charged together with Leon Ncube, Khumbulani Sibanda, and Thabani Sibanda for several counts of armed robbery.
All four remain in custody until their next appearance on February 27.