Mpumalanga prelims to be disrupted

2010-09-16 22:23

Mbombela - Mpumalanga schools' preliminary examinations are under threat as the Congress of SA Students allegedly intends disrupting them, the provincial education department said on Thursday.

"The exams have progressed without glitches for three days and the department views the threat in a serious light," spokesperson Jasper Zwane said in a statement.

If carried out, the disruptions would impact negatively on efforts to improve marks in the province.

"The department therefore calls on all schools to put in place pro-active measures to avoid the disruption of the teaching and learning process.

"Schools are urged to maintain constant engagement with parents, representative councils of learners and community structures that have direct interest in education," Zwane said.

There had been disruptions in Gauteng, Limpopo, Free State, North West and the Eastern Cape.

Matric pupils were demanding the postponement of their preliminary and final exams, as well as free marks. They were claiming they were not prepared, after their teachers joined other public servants in a countrywide strike recently.

Cosas on Thursday called on the exam protest to be suspended, and encouraged pupils to return to school to be taught.

The decision followed a meeting between the basic education department, Cosas, the SA Democratic Teachers' Union and other youth organisations, where it was agreed that concerns raised would be addressed.