Muti suspect acquitted

2014-03-05 22:41


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nelspruit - One of the three people accused of killing a six-year-old girl and taking her body parts for muti was acquitted on Wednesday.

Thabile Mnisi, 33, from Masibekela near Komatipoort, was acquitted of murder and conspiracy to commit murder in the Nelspruit circuit of the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria, a Sapa correspondent reported.

"There is not enough evidence... You are free to go," Judge Collin Lamont said.

Lamont did not accept testimony from Goodness Mahlalela, 33, from Masibekela, that Mnisi, her child's minder, could have been responsible for the death.

Her daughter, Dimakatso Shabangu, went missing on 21 April 2009, while in Mnisi's care.

Last week, Mahlalela said she had left her child with Mnisi while she went to pick vegetables.

"I [later] asked Thabile where my child was so that she could eat. She told me that she left the child behind when she went to Sibange [a village outside Komatipoort]," she said.

"She [Mnisi] said the child had tried to follow her, but she instructed her to go back home. Then I said maybe her father took her with him after finding that she was home alone."

She said the next day Mnisi suggested that they go to the child's father's place to get the child.

"We went there, but did not find her, so she suggested we go to Dimakatso's uncle's place, where we did not find her. She [Mnisi] then suggested we go report the matter to the headman," Mahlalela told the court.

"The headman asked Thabile how she could tell the child to go back home knowing her mother was not there. She replied that she would never kill any child because she was taking care of children."

Mahlalela told Lamont she hired Mnisi out of kindness, but was shocked to learn she might be involved in her daughter's death.

Lamont said the trial would continue with Mnisi's co-accused on Thursday.

The two, Stella Sibongile Zulu and Sifiso Wonder Vilakazi, are out on R5 000 bail and R3 000 bail respectively.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    mbombela publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Meyer lauds ‘new’ Bok 9 and 10
VIDEO: Bok fans belt out national anthem
VIDEO: I favour SA to go very far in the RWC - former Ireland captain
Boks to floor USA by 38 - bookies
Traffic Alerts

Are you burning the candle at both ends? Listen to your body and your emotional reactions. Know when to slow down or stop. It is more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.