NPA removes Nel from Kebble case
Johannesburg - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has taken prosecutor Gerrie Nel off the Brett Kebble murder case, its spokesperson said on Friday.
Nel, who is currently prosecuting ex-top cop Jackie Selebi, was also taken off the case against former acting crime intelligence head Mulangi Mphego.
"Two months ago DPP [Director of Public Prosecutions] South Gauteng took a strategic decision in the interests of justice to replace the prosecution team in both the Kebble murder and Mphego cases," Mthunzi Mhaga told Sapa.
"Mr Mphego made representations to the NDPP for permanent stay of prosecution and therefore it's not fair to overburden the same team with so much work when we have many equally capable prosecutors - hence the decision that they concentrate on the Selebi case so that it won't affect other cases where they are involved."
The Kebble case was postponed in February to July 26, because the main murder suspect, Glenn Agliotti, is the State's main witness in the ongoing Selebi fraud and corruption case.
Earlier this week, a senior NPA official, Prince Mokotedi, told the Selebi trial that Nel was among NPA officers investigated for allegedly siphoning funds for informants.
In the past weeks, several newspapers have speculated on a growing rift between Nel and NPA boss Menzi Simelane.
Nel had been open in his support for axed NPA head Vusi Pikoli, who Simelane succeeded.
Last month, Simelane planned to move three senior prosecutors to lower courts but later backed down.