Nightclub teen 'drank Ecstasy'

2010-08-31 09:12

Johannesburg - A friend of Shane Jonker, the boy who died in a Krugersdorp nightclub at the weekend, apparently told medics they had drunk G-fluid, a type of Ecstasy.

"We should never have drunk that stuff," the friend said at the scene.

The friend referred to the type of Ecstasy in liquid form, Corné Ludick, co-owner of Fahrenheit nightclub in Boltonia said on Monday.

She said when she tried to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, she saw white granules, "like when you bite into a Panado", in his mouth.

Ludick says she has known Shane since he was a child, when she did pro bono work for children as a practising advocate.

"He was like part of the furniture here (at the club) and always referred to me as 'his mom'."


According to her, he arrived at the club, where a foam party was being held, shortly before 20:00 on Friday with between five and eight friends.

"We were still throwing shirts into the foam as gifts for the kids when one of his friends went to one of the bouncers and said Shane is lying on the floor."

Ludick carried Shane outside. She has first aid training and immediately checked his pulse and breathing.

"His body was still warm. His pulse was 46/50 and he was still alive.

"Then I saw his airway was blocked.

"I saw white granules in the yellow phlegm in his mouth and wiped it out with a tissue so I could open his airway. While I was doing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, one of the guests called Netcare 911."

When the paramedics arrived and questioned his friends, Ludick heard one of them referring to G-liquid.


Shane was declared dead on arrival at the Netcare Krugersdorp hospital.

The substance that was wiped from his mouth was not handed over to police.

Ludick said the police have looked at photos taken at the party, but they haven't taken her statement yet.

Police spokesperson Odette van Staden said a preliminary post-mortem was done but further tests are needed.

According to Ludick there was no violence toward any child at the club.

No irregularities or under-18s are allowed at the nightclub, and five security officers search guests for weapons and drugs and check their ID books.

Regarding an allegation that an electrical cable on the dance floor could have shocked and killed Shane during the foam party, she said: "It's highly unlikely that only one man would be shocked between everyone."

- Were you there? Anything to share?