News24

No arrests in Cape High Court shooting

2012-05-02 22:46

Cape Town - No one has been arrested in connection with the recent shooting of a man outside the Western Cape High Court, police said on Wednesday.

Captain Frederick van Wyk said police were reviewing footage from closed-circuit cameras in the area, in the hope of identifying the man who opened fire last Tuesday.

He said the man who was wounded in the shooting, known only as William, did not see the gunman. He was in a stable condition at Groote Schuur Hospital.

William was walking out of the court with his nephew at 11:30 when the man shot him in the neck.

He reportedly also tried to shoot William's nephew, Winston van der Leer, but the .38 revolver jammed.

The man threw down the weapon in full view of legal workers and the public and ran away.

Van der Leer had been in the High Court with five other men for the alleged murder of Cameron Philander and Liezel Saunders in Heideveld on July 18 2010.

His co-accused are Ryan Abrahams, Virgil Adendorff, Clint de Hahn and Eugene Williams.

They are allegedly members of the Junky Funky Kids gang.

Comments
  • Janice - 2012-05-03 12:39

    This is equivalent to robbing a police station...

  • Loo - 2012-05-03 12:54

    Screw that . .let the gangs kill each other .. and BTW since when does the police solve and successfully prosecute ??!!

  • pages:
  • 1