News24

No bail for bus shooting suspects, cop urges

2012-03-15 16:51

Pretoria - The three people accused of shooting and wounding a Gautrain bus driver should be denied bail because they were already contravening a South Gauteng High Court ruling, the Pretoria Magistrate's Court heard on Thursday.

Investigating officer Dion Meyer said Busisiwe Malema, Frans Makadikoa and Jan Gijima Ndlovu contravened a ruling by the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg, which warned them from intimidating Gautrain employees and its management.

The interdict was handed down by the court following an unprotected strike by Gautrain bus drivers. In February the company fired the 320 strikers and hired new drivers.

Meyer said if the three were released on bail, they would continue to intimidate new employees to try and get their jobs back.

Following the mass dismissal, there had been eight reported incidents of intimidation, arson and assault on new bus drivers. The fired drivers were suspected of being responsible.

"It makes you wonder to what extent they are willing to go to to have their jobs back or to make their voices heard," said Meyer.

He strongly opposed bail for all three as he thought they would continue to harass Gautrain employees and place them, as well as the public who used the service, in danger.

There were passengers in the bus during Monday's shooting. Two shots were fired at the driver. One bullet hit the bus, the other struck the driver in the hip, Meyer said.