'No decision' on Derby-Lewis
Johannesburg - The correctional services department on Saturday dismissed as "false" reports that a final decision on the parole application of the man who planned the murder of struggle hero Chris Hani, Clive Derby-Lewis, would be made next month.
"It is also false to say that he will be out by Christmas," ministerial spokesperson, Sonwabo Mbananga told Sapa in a telephonic interview.
According to procedure, two recommendations were made when deciding parole for prisoners serving life sentence, Mbananga explained.
One is made by the parole board to the National Council on Correctional Services (NCCS). The second recommendations are made by the NCCS to the minister of correctional services who then makes a decision based on the recommendations.
He said recommendations regarding Derby-Lewis had been made by the parole board, but the information had not yet reached the NCCS and that the department did not have that information.
The next sitting of the NCCS would only take place at the end of October and Derby-Lewis' case might be tabled then.
The Saturday Star reported that Derby-Lewis could be a free man by Christmas, a report Mbananga vehemently denied.
Derby-Lewis was sentenced to death, but the sentence was commuted to life imprisonment when the death sentence was abolished. He has served 15 years of the life sentence.