No more interviews for Korkie wife

2014-01-21 08:28
Yolande Korkie (File, Nicolene Olckers, Beeld)

Yolande Korkie (File, Nicolene Olckers, Beeld)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The wife of a man being held by al-Qaeda in Yemen will not be giving further media interviews, the family said on Tuesday.

"Based on medical advice, it was decided that she [Yolande Korkie] will not make herself available to either attend any further media briefings or conduct interviews," they said in a statement.

"She requires time to recuperate from her ordeal and spend time with her children."

Press statements would be released to the media twice a week, and when there are new developments in the case.

The latest update from Monday at 16:00 was that "Gift of the Givers continues to engage [with] the kidnappers to negotiate the safe release of Pierre Korkie", according to the statement.

The al-Qaeda militants holding Pierre Korkie had threatened to execute him on Friday if they were not given US$3m (about R32.5m) in exchange for his safe return.

Three-week extension to raise ransom

After an initial silence, the kidnappers made contact, indicating that Korkie was still alive on Saturday.

A three-week extension was also given to raise the ransom. The couple was kidnapped in the city of Taiz in Yemen in May.

Yolande Korkie was held for seven months and after extensive negotiations she was released in January without a ransom. She returned to the country last week.

At a news conference in Johannesburg last week, Yolande begged al-Qaeda to release her husband.
The couple have been married for 20 years.

At the time of the kidnapping, Korkie was a teacher in Yemen, while his wife did relief work in hospitals.

South Africa's Deputy Minister of International Relations Ebrahim Ebrahim arrived in Yemen on Sunday morning.

Departmental spokesperson Nelson Kgwete said Ebrahim would discuss Korkie's kidnapping with the Yemeni government and interested parties.

The department said it would not be involved in the ransom talks.
- SAPA
Read more on:    gift of the givers  |  pierre korkie  |  yemen
NEXT ON NEWS24X

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
31 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
SPONSORED CONTENT
Keep your bike (and yourself) safe with these tips 2015-03-23 09:16

Whether you’re a newbie pedaller or a seasoned cyclist, knowing how to stay safe is the best way to enjoy your time on your bike.

/News
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

Love is in the air and you are in the mood to share and spend an abundant amount of time and energy with someone special. You may...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.