News24

No news on SA abduction in Mali

2011-12-05 09:41

Johannesburg - There was no news on a South African kidnapped 11 days ago in Mali, the international relations department said on Monday.

"We have no update," spokesperson Clayson Monyela said.

A family member, who did not want to be named, said they had heard nothing yet.

"It's all quiet and we are just waiting."

The South African embassy was working closely with authorities in Mali, who had mounted a search for those abducted.

The department had been advised that it was not safe to publish the name of the 36-year-old South African man, who was abducted along with a Swedish and a Dutch tourist on Friday, November 25.

The men's tour guide Ali Maiga told the Associated Press that gunmen burst into a Timbuktu restaurant, grabbed four tourists dining there and executed one, a German, when he refused to climb into their truck.