No terrorism threat to SWC - Cele

2010-05-13 11:07

Durban - South African police do not know of any terror threats to the 2010 FIFA World Cup, police commissioner General Bheki Cele said on Thursday.

“There is no threat that we have discovered. We are ready to protect our visitors,” he said.

Cele was addressing journalists at King Shaka International Airport during an event to display police capabilities ahead of the World Cup in June.

He said reported terrorism threats believed to have been made by a group in North Africa had been properly investigated and dealt with.

“The threat was pursued to check whether it was valid. We have found the end of it and there is no need to worry,” said Cele.

He said it had been reported that a group said it would be pleased to see the bombing of the stadium where the US team was playing during the World Cup.

He said they would keep a vigilant eye on eight countries regarded as high risk. These included the United States and United Kingdom.

Simulation exercises

Several police units displayed how they would handle life-threatening situations such as plane hijackings and hostages during the World Cup.

The simulation showed how the police would deal with airborne and landborne threats. During the simulation, a hijacked plane was forced to touch down by a police helicopter.

Various police units such as the bomb disposal unit and search and rescue units, and snipers and hostage negotiators were on the scene.

The exercise, held at the airport's cargo section, was attended by KwaZulu-Natal Premier Zweli Mkhize and community liaison MEC Willies Mchunu.

Another exercise would be held at Princess Magogo Stadium in KwaMashu later on Thursday.