No word from govt on Marikana commemoration

2014-08-15 19:37
(Picture: AP)

(Picture: AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - It could not be confirmed on Friday whether any government officials would be attending the second anniversary of the Marikana shootings at the weekend.

Government spokesperson Phumla Williams said she was not aware of any government minister going to the North West town on Saturday.

At a mining lekgotla in Midrand on Wednesday, Minerals and Energy Minister Ngoako Ramatlhodi said he would like to take part in the commemorations, if invited.

"We hoped Marikana never happened, but we acknowledge that it was a failure of all stakeholders," he told reporters on the side-lines of the lekgotla.

"I would be quite happy to be invited to Marikana and join in the commemoration."

Last year, government was absent from the one-year commemoration.

Organisers of the event could not immediately be reached on Friday to confirm the programme.

DA parliamentary leader Mmusi Maimane and Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema were expected to address the commemorations.

The EFF said that, two years later, justice had still not been served for the fallen miners.

"Those responsible, from the police who obeyed murderous instructions up to the national police commissioner, Riah Phiyega, and the then Minister of Police, Nathi Mthethwa, still enjoy normal lives and remain in positions of power without any consequence, either in terms of suspensions, termination of employment and criminal charges," the party said in a statement.

The Cosatu said the underlying problems in the mining industry remained largely unchanged.

"That is why Cosatu's 11th Congress declaration called for a second independent commission of inquiry, parallel to the Farlam Commission, to review the underlying conditions in the mining industry as a whole," the trade union federation said.

The commission, chaired by retired Judge Ian Farlam, is investigating the deaths of 44 people during strike-related violence at Lonmin's platinum mining operations in Marikana in August 2012.

Thirty-four people, mostly striking mineworkers, were shot dead in a clash with police, over 70 were wounded, and over 250 arrested on 16 August 2012.

Saturday would be two years since the shooting.


Read more on:    cosatu  |  da  |  eff  |  mahikeng  |  marikana inquiry

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.