Not us, City Power says after boys burnt
Johannesburg - A third party contractor not employed by Joburg City Power was to blame for the live cable which burnt two boys while they played in a trench in Mayibuye, Tembisa, it said on Thursday.
"City Power would like to place on record that the incident did not occur as a result of any negligence on the part of City Power, " it said in a statement.
"City Power is saddened and sincerely regrets the electrocution of children in the Mayibuye area on January 22...
"We cannot take responsibility for the actions of third parties who damage or vandalise our network, thereby exposing the public to great risk," it said.
The Daily Sun published a photograph of the children taken minutes after they were shocked on Wednesday.
Their clothes were burned off and each had suffered severe burns. Both children, reportedly aged 10 and 11, appeared bewildered.
Tembisa Hospital spokesman Lesibana Ledwaba said he could not comment on their condition.
The Daily Sun reported that the contractors who dug the trench failed to cover it despite requests by people living in the area.
However, the contractors said someone had tried to steal the cable and that they reported this to City Power.
Residents told the newspaper that when City Power came out, the electrician switched the power on at the "danger box" without checking the cable.
"It is unfortunate and regretted that the exposed cables were not reported to City Power by the third party contractor or their employer until after the incident took place," City Power said.
It had since been reported to the labour department and to the police. The third party contractor had also been notified.