Officials claim circumcision victory
Cape Town - A new strategy to counter circumcision deaths has yielded positive results in the Pondoland area, Eastern Cape Traditional Affairs MEC Mlibo Qoboshiyane said on Tuesday.
"Only one death has been recorded so far as compared to seven in the previous year in the Pondoland area, which is the area that was targeted through the intervention strategy," he said in a statement.
He said his department and the Eastern Cape House of Traditional Leaders had held "serious discussions" at workshops in September.
This had resulted in meetings with communities, the establishment of circumcision forums and visits to about 1 300 initiation schools.
"As the department we wish to acknowledge the gains made by the House of Traditional Leaders during this Nov/Dec 2010 initiation season," Qoboshiyane said.
"However one death is one too many.
"We will make our voice heard and amplify messages aimed at discouraging anyone who constantly undermines our efforts to restore the dignity of this time-immemorial custom."