Pair to be sentenced for abusing baby
Johannesburg - A man and woman found guilty of assaulting their baby in 2003 will be sentenced by the Johannesburg Regional Court on Friday.
Bradley Connor and Malinda Marshall, both 26, were found guilty last year of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm. Both are out on bail.
Their child, Michael, who was three months old at the time of the assault, died a blind quadriplegic at the Avril Elizabeth Home on October 16 last year.
A medical professional said he appeared to have been throttled and that this had caused haemorrhaging and blindness.
In October 2003, Michael was admitted to hospital with injuries which raised concern that he had been abused. A social worker looked into the case, but recommended that he be returned to his parents.
The next month he was again admitted to hospital. He was bruised, blind and brain damaged.
His mother initially claimed that his father had abused him, but later said she alone was responsible for his injuries.
The baby was placed in the care of the Ikhaya Tini Vorster home, where he remained until 2007.
In 2005, Marshall was convicted of assaulting the child, while Connor received a suspended sentence, under a plea bargain. He admitted not feeding the baby and not getting him medical treatment.
However, in a new trial which started in 2009, they were both charged with attempted murder, although the charge was later commuted to assault GBH.
Marshall has since married and has three more children, all below the age of 8.