News24

Paralysed man rescued from fire

2012-05-01 18:12

Potchefstroom - A paralysed man was carried to safety out of his burning shack in Promosa, Potchefstroom, North West police said on Tuesday.

Police spokesperson Captain Pelonomi Makau said the man, who lives with his aunt, was sleeping when neighbours saw fire coming out of the shack at around 17:00 on Monday.

His neighbours managed to rescue him before his shack and their shack were badly damaged by the flames.

Fire and emergency services and the police had arrived to help but it was too late to stop both households from being damaged.

The paralysed man's aunt was at work at the time.

In the meantime, emergency services helped both households by providing mattresses and a tent and the man was taken to his sister's house in the area.

The police are appealing to members of the community to be careful when dealing with anything that can cause a fire during winter.

"The community is also advised not leave children unattended with heaters and candles on," said Makau.

Police opened a case of arson to establish the cause of the blaze.

Comments
  • Mike Purchase - 2012-05-01 18:34

    Good to hear something positive for a change,viva humanity.

  • Rob - 2012-05-01 19:46

    Yes, indeed.

  • Adil Smit - 2012-05-01 20:11

    So good to read about people helping each other.

  • pages:
  • 1