Parktown Boys case struck off - again
Johannesburg - A case of assault against a group of Parktown Boys' High School pupils has been struck off the court roll for a second time, it was reported on Friday.
Pene Kimber, the mother of one of the alleged victims, told The Star that the case was struck off the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court roll on Thursday.
The magistrate dismissed the case because the investigating officer had not delivered subpoenas to all the accused and some of them were not signed or correctly dated.
In February 2009, Kimber reported an alleged assault on her son by 12 matric pupils at the school.
Her son and other Grade 11 pupils in his hostel were allegedly stripped naked, had Deep Heat rubbed on their genitals and were beaten with cricket bats, hockey sticks, golf clubs and whips as part of an initiation ritual.
The case was struck off the roll in November 2010. It had been postponed 12 times prior to that.
Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Kholeka Gcaleka confirmed that her office had decided the matter should go to trial.
"Representations had been filed with the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions... After in-depth consideration the director instructed that prosecution in the matter must proceed against the accused," Gcaleka said.
Kimber said it had taken eight months after the director's office made the decision for the case to appear on the court roll again.
"I just kept on fighting. It really made me realise that you have to do it yourself if you want justice to happen," she said.