News24

Perlemoen syndicate case postponed

2012-03-08 19:01

Cape Town - The trial of 24 people implicated in a national perlemoen (abalone) poaching syndicate was postponed by the Khayelitsha Regional Court on Thursday, the Hawks said.

Spokesperson McIntosh Polela said the group would appear again on July 13 so the final charge sheet could be confirmed.

They were accused of racketeering and money laundering.

"Another reason it was postponed was that some of the accused have indicated they may be willing to negotiate a plea agreement," he said.

The court also ordered a postponement as it also needed time to centralise individual cases.

The accused were arrested last year July during an operation known as "Project Black Leaves".

Polela said three of the accused were policemen.

Six people would remain in custody as they were arrested for crimes after being granted bail. The rest were out on bail of various amounts.