News24

Pippie awake and off ventilator

2012-06-23 11:02

Johannesburg - Limpopo toddler Pippie Kruger is awake after undergoing a skin graft operation this week, The Saturday Star reported.

"So far, so good," Ridwan Mia, her doctor at Johannesburg's Garden City Clinic, is reported to have said after the three-year-old burn victim's bandages were removed for the first time earlier this week and her dressings cleaned.

Her body had been tightly bandaged since the operation on Monday so as not to disturb the skin grafts, which were grown in a laboratory in the United States using skin taken from her groin.

Kruger was taken off her ventilator on Friday morning. She had been placed in a medically-induced coma.

"One hyperactive three-year-old coming up. Now you can see she is frustrated," her mother, Anice, 27, told the newspaper.

Her mother said she could see the veins attaching to the new skin.

"It looks like someone has slapped on Glad Wrap."

Anice said she could see her daughter's mouth moving but no sound was coming out yet.

"I know the angels are talking to her and keeping her entertained."

The next step for Kruger would be to undergo intensive physiotherapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy. This process would last for around six months.

Meanwhile, Pippie's father, Erwin, said his lawyers were preparing a lawsuit against the manufacturers of the gel firelighter which exploded at a New Years braai and caused 80 percent of her body to be burned.

"Other people have phoned to tell me how they have been hurt by the same gel firelighter."

Comments
  • Bless Boswell - 2012-06-23 11:10

    I am so glad Pippie is doing well and also glad that her dad is going to be suing the manufacturers for the accident.

      Justine Cornil - 2012-06-24 00:07

      John, she wasn't within reach of the bbq, but sitting and playing on the grass a couple of meters away, when the bottle exploded, it sent a ball of fire straight at her.

  • shirley.steenkamp - 2012-06-23 11:12

    Glad to hear she is making steady progress. The wonder of children is their resiliance! Get well soon little one. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

      nompumelelo.madonda - 2012-06-23 12:02

      Share the same sentiment as you, Shirley. Thanks to the medical team as well.

  • Gaby - 2012-06-23 11:14

    I would love to know what is involved in setting up a lab like this in SA. As far as I am aware, this is a first for Africa. I'm sure thousands of Africans could benefit from this. Let us unite and make this possible.

  • konanani.rachicoper - 2012-06-23 11:29

    Good news

  • Bryan - 2012-06-23 11:46

    What a brave little angel:-)))

  • sandy.langenstrass - 2012-06-23 11:50

    AG..AG my baby girl...my heart cries for you...so young and to think you have been through so much...GET BETTER LITTLE ONE...I think of you all the time.

  • Avesh Athmanand - 2012-06-23 11:57

    Amen !!!

  • zolisa.dlokovu - 2012-06-23 12:14

    Good news

  • wlombard - 2012-06-23 12:15

    This is such great news after such a bad experience.

  • Emily-Jane Elson - 2012-06-23 12:26

    Great News! My heart bleeds when children are hurt.. :-( I hope she is not in any pain, something she doesn't deserve! My mom always says "God doesn't give you more than you can handle". She is obviously something Special!! I've been immobile before and know the frustration but God sets a sense of calm on you to keep you patient during the process.. Glad she's ok!!

      tshidi.cathy - 2012-06-23 13:02

      thanx for the miracle of healing.ther is no permanent situation only permanent god.praises

  • paul.harms - 2012-06-23 12:28

    I am wondering, the gel is a heating fuel for gel stoves and not a firelighter, so why do they want to sue the manufacturer? Not one of the Bio fuel gels that I have seen states on the label that it is a fire lighter. Petrol also burns but it is not sold as a fire lighter. If you are idiot enough to throw it on a open fire so be it. I feel extremely sorry for the poor girl and am so glad that she is recuperating but am also extremely interested to know how the gel came to explode. I have used the stuff for ages. The only way I can see it 'exploding' is when it is poured out of the container onto an open flame, because the product is highly flammable (as stated on the label)the flame may well flash back into the container. If the container was held upside down which follows if one thinks it may have been poured over a dwindling fire, the container would possibly then explode as the flash has nowhere else to go.

      Bruce - 2012-06-23 13:15

      I just checked on google.They advertise some specifically for lighting barbecues. I don't think I will ever try those after reading this story. But then it is easy to be wise after the event.

      ted.muusha - 2012-06-23 13:19

      @Franklin. If someone asks for clarification or has a question. Answer the question or clarify. I think you have just proven what you wanted to prove. That you are a BETTER idiot than the one seeking clarification.

      John Franklin - 2012-06-23 14:16

      @ted. Have you read Paul's post?? can you read properly?

  • tam.gouws10 - 2012-06-23 12:31

    Wonderful news! :)

  • maseratifittipaldi - 2012-06-23 12:34

    Good stuff !

  • charnelle.bester - 2012-06-23 13:28

    Pippie, I have been following your story since the beginning. I am so happy you are doing well. I pray that you will have a speedy recovery my angel. I know your mommy and daddy will keep strong. News24 please keep us posted as much as you can!

  • robqb - 2012-06-23 13:33

    Almost everything I would like to have said was done below, or is it above once I've posted this? Just hope that any scarring from this unfortunate incident is not visible. I also hope that the mental scarring disappears completely.

  • BulletProof. - 2012-06-23 14:30

    God help her to go through all the pain. For the clever inventors of that bomb, if they are guilty, SUE the hell out of them, it means they did not make a proper research before introduce the product in the market, it can avoid further accidents.

  • Pat - 2012-06-23 15:20

    I certainly hope that Pippie's Dad shall not blame himself for this accident.Only if you have been a parent you shall know how active children are! How quick an accident can occur. My wish is for this family to take the long walk to Pippie's recovery on their own with help of the medical staff. Please do not judge unless you have been there yourself.

  • tolo.maano - 2012-06-23 15:34

    Oh thanx GOD u r Doing ok pippie.u r in our prayer u wll b good in no time

  • Sagin - 2012-06-23 21:28

    wishing you strength and a speedy recovery Pippie. x

  • pages:
  • 1