News24

Police probe link to Channelle Henning's ex

2012-01-18 23:19

Johannesburg - It was not known on Wednesday whether the ex-husband of Chanelle Henning, who is a suspect in her murder, would be arrested, Gauteng police said.

"It was said in court that he is a suspect and that we must investigate further. At this stage we are following up information; the investigator is not indicating as yet whether he has been arrested or not," said police spokesperson Katlego Mogale.

On Tuesday, investigating officer Petrus van der Spuy testified in the Pretoria Regional Court that phone records indicated that one of the murder accused, Andre Gouws, was called from Nico Henning's phone on the weekend of November 6 2011.

Van der Spuy was testifying in the State's bid to prevent Gouws from getting bail.

Gouws, 47, Ambrose Monye, 37, Gerhardus du Plessis, 34, Preshan Singh, 24, and Willem Martinus Pieterse were arrested in November in connection with the drive-by shooting of the young Pretoria mother.

According to evidence heard in court earlier during the trial of disgraced former policeman Gerhardus du Plessis and Willem Martinus Pieterse, "a caller" had instructed Gouws to postpone the hit scheduled for that weekend because "the bitch had the baby this weekend".

The couple had previously been embroiled in a custody dispute over their five-year-old son, which Chanelle won.

Without giving a name, Van der Spuy told the court that police had yet to catch "the mastermind" in the matter and anticipated more arrests.

According to Gouws' affidavit, read to the court by his lawyer, he intended pleading not guilty to the charges when the trial started. He said he was severely assaulted when he was arrested, and again later during his detention.

Custodian

"I've been threatened that I am going to be killed. I am afraid I will not be able to defend myself in court if I am not released on bail."

He stated he was the custodian for his 70-year-old mother, to whom he gave financial support.

Gouws' bail application hearing was adjourned to January 24.

Former Nigerian Olympic athlete, Monye, abandoned his bail application. He would be back in the Pretoria Regional Court on February 16.

Henning was shot by two men on a motorbike while driving in Faerie Glen, in the east of Pretoria, on November 8 last year, moments after she dropped off her son at the Morning Star Montessori crèche.

Du Plessis and Pieterse were convicted on December 14 and sentenced to 18 years' imprisonment each, following a plea bargain.

They pleaded guilty to the murder, possession of an unlicensed firearm, and illegal possession of ammunition.

Singh's R5 000 bail, granted in November, was extended on Tuesday to February 16.

Comments
  • John - 2012-01-19 00:20

    This is not news.... its history.

  • George - 2012-01-19 07:05

    Why was she killed?????????????????????????????????????

  • john.h.viljoen - 2012-01-19 07:10

    how do you go from olympic athlete to murder suspect?oh sorry he's nigerian

  • Nyiko Ngobeni - 2012-01-19 07:30

    Fire the so-called detective. Its common sense that the husband was always a suspect. But he has yet to check that out two months on?

      alanaR.rodriguez - 2012-01-19 09:00

      If the detective does not have proof... Mr Henning WILL WALK FREE!! That thing in your skull is a brain... try using it sometimes! We all know who is the mastermind, it's obvious, but to put him behind bars, they need a little thing called... PROOF!!

  • Cynthia - 2012-01-24 10:15

    another Annie Case and another depression story in time you will all get caught

  • pages:
  • 1