Police search for Eastern Cape conman
Johannesburg - Eastern Cape police warned the public on Monday against a man who swindled four people out of thousands of rand last week.
"The con artist posed as a bank employee and phoned the four to ask for their personal and banking details," Captain Ernest Sigobe said.
"Tens of thousands of rands were later withdrawn from the accounts of the four victims on Thursday and Friday."
The total amount of the stolen money was not immediately known.
Sigobe said the man was suspected to have conned many other people in the province in the same way.
He urged other victims to press charges.
"We warn the people not to give out their personal and banking details, especially to those asking for them on the phone."
Four cases of fraud had been opened.