Prayer for gang rape victim
Johannesburg - A prayer would be held in Doornkop on Sunday in support of a Soweto gang rape victim and other abused women, the ANC Women's League said.
"This is so we can bring women together and address the issues of women abuse," said spokesperson Troy Martens on Saturday.
"We are inviting all women to come and participate."
She said the league would be praying for the safety of women in South Africa, and those who had been abused.
The midday prayer session would also include an address by Gauteng premier Nomvula Mokonyane.
The premier's office said the event was aimed at fostering tolerance and respect of human rights.
Highlight issues of rape
"It aims to show government and community support and solidarity with the victim and her family and highlight the issues of rape and the need for citizens to partake in efforts that seeks to ensure the scourge of rape is removed from society," said spokesperson Xoli Mngambi.
The prayer meeting will take place at the Block 10 sports ground in Doornkop where the 17-year-old teenager was gang-raped and filmed on a cellphone.
The rape video went "viral" on the internet on Wednesday and was one of the main topics trending on the social networking site Twitter.
After the incident the girl went missing for three weeks.
She was found this week in a 37-year-old man's Braamfischerville home.
He was arrested and appeared in the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court on Friday facing charges of kidnapping and rape. It is alleged that he kept the teenager against her will.
His case was postponed to May 4 for further investigation.
Five other men and two youths matching the descriptions of the rapists in the cellphone video appeared in the same court on Thursday.
The case was postponed until April 25 for further investigation.