Probe into school disruptions
Johannesburg - The SA Democratic Teachers' Union will investigate allegations that teachers dismissed Soweto schools early on Monday to attend a union meeting, Sadtu president Thobile Ntola said.
Ntola, who said he was not aware of the events in the township because he was attending the ANC national general council in Durban, was responding to reports that teachers in Soweto dismissed schools early to attend a Sadtu meeting at Thokoza Park in Rockville.
He said he was aware that union members were scheduled to meet at a time that would not disrupt schooling to discuss the proposed recovery plan by the education department.
This was a department initiative to help pupils catch up with their lessons following the recent month-long civil servants' strike that brought teaching to a halt.
The alleged disruption by teachers came only two days after the Congress of SA Students (Cosas) called off its week-long countrywide protest against writing preliminary exams.
Soweto police spokesperson Kay Makhubela said the teachers were still gathering at the township's state-of-the-art recreational park for their meeting and no incidents had been reported so far.