Probe scares dodgy officials away

2010-08-19 09:03

Johannesburg - Some 150 Eastern Cape health officials have left their jobs following wide-scale probes into corruption, the Dispatch Online reported on Thursday.

“There is a new scam. Once people realise that they are being investigated, the easiest thing for them is to resign,” said Siva Pillay, the superintendent general in the provincial health department.

He told Parliament's standing committee on public accounts (Scopa) that there had been 612 investigations into corruption.

Those who had resigned included seven heads of ambulance services and many paramedics who did not have public driving permits.

Pillay said the department handed its information over to the police if the implicated employees decided to resign.

But he said, so far, no dockets had been opened.

Hawks spokesperson Musa Zondi said the investigations were still underway.