News24

Prosecutor ill, fraud case on hold

2012-05-11 16:41

Pretoria - The case against two former labour department employees accused of defrauding the Compensation Fund was postponed in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Friday.

The case against Samuel Mfeleng and Maxwell Ramaphosa was postponed until May 21 as the prosecutor in the case was ill, department spokesperson Page Boikanyo said in a statement.

The two allegedly defrauded the fund of more than R2.1m and face 15 counts of fraud and 26 of money laundering.

They are also linked to two other fraud cases. Boikanyo said in one case they were accused of being part of a group of seven who defrauded the fund of more than R1m.

They were also accused of being part of a group of four who defrauded the department of about R500 000.

Sentencing of one of their co-accused, physiotherapist Jurry Sehunoe, would start on July 2.

Mfeleng and Ramaphosa were previously granted R3 000 bail each.

The fund provides compensation for workers who are injured or suffer from diseases contracted during their employment.

It also covers people who die from such injuries or diseases.