Prosecutor to decide on Shaik complaint
Johannesburg - The Directorate of Public Prosecutions has received the
police docket relating to Schabir Shaik's alleged assault of a reporter and
will decide whether prosecution is warranted, a spokesperson said on Tuesday.
"Yes, we have received the docket and the [KwaZulu-Natal] Acting
Director of Public Prosecutions advocate [Simphiwe] Mlotshwa will go through
the contents of the document and decide whether to prosecute," said
Sunday Tribune reporter Amanda Khoza was allegedly assaulted by Shaik, when
he spotted her while playing golf during his parole for fraud and corruption.
Police spokesperson Phindile Radebe said the docket had been handed over and
she could not discuss its contents.
The Sunday Tribune reported that Khoza received an SMS on March 4, saying
the case had been transferred to provincial level and that she would receive a
decision within a fortnight.
A second report of an alleged assault over a parking infringement outside a
mosque was not reported to police or to the Department of Correctional Services.
In response to the reports, last Monday Shaik was taken to the Westville
Prison but was released on Wednesday with a finding that he had not violated
his parole conditions, because the second person could not be traced.
They said that the Khoza matter was for the police to deal with.
Shaik did just over two years of his 15-year sentence - spending most of the
time in a medical unit. He was given medical parole due to a terminal condition
but various sightings of him in public have led opposition parties to question
the grounds for parole, and whether he is ill.
His jail sentence was related to the facilitation of a bribe from arms
company Thint, allegedly to President Jacob Zuma.
When he was paroled, there were suggestions that this was because of his