News24

Prosecutor to decide on blue light case

2012-01-12 19:48

Johannesburg - The docket of the investigation into Housing MEC Humphrey Mmemezi's driver, who allegedly hit 18-year-old Thomas Ferreira, has been given to a senior state prosecutor, police said on Thursday.

"The dossier was handed to the senior state prosecutor on Tuesday. It is up to the court to proceed with the case," said Lieutenant Colonel Katlego Mogale.

Ferreira was injured in Krugersdorp in November when Mmemezi's official vehicle crashed into his motorcycle.

The driver of the vehicle, Semitsi Modomai, was transporting Mmemezi and had turned on blue lights to cross through a red traffic light when he collided with Thomas.

Police confirmed on November 9 that a case of reckless or negligent driving had been opened against Modomai.

At the time, Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane publicly promised to cover the teenager's medical bills.

"I did send the family an e-mail yesterday to request an appropriate meeting time," Gauteng housing department head Mongezi Mnyani said on Thursday

"The details of the meeting and the issues at hand will be reserved for the meeting with the family," he said.

Mnyani said on December 23 that the department had not yet paid any of Ferreira's medical bills. It was committed to working with the family to find a solution.

The costs of Ferreira's rehabilitation centre were reportedly around R120 000 a month.