News24

Proudly Manenberg halts court action

2012-08-03 17:59

Cape Town - Non-profit organisation Proudly Manenberg will shelve plans to take the government to court, chairpersonMario Wanza said on Friday.

The decision followed the co-operative governance department provisionally reversing its withdrawal of a contract awarded to Proudly Manenberg.

The organisation had been contracted to implement the government's Community Work Programme (CWP).

The CWP is an initiative by the department to provide a job safety net for the unemployed. Participants are given jobs, usually for a minimum of two days a week.

The withdrawal of the contract from Proudly Manenberg saw Wanza and his supporters from the impoverished community march to Parliament earlier this week.

Wanza had since met Co-operative Governance Minister Richard Baloyi.

"The information provided by Proudly Manenberg on why and how our contract... was terminated was news to the minister," Wanza said in a statement on Friday.

Baloyi had now provisionally re-instated Proudly Manenberg as implementing agent.

Wanza said he would meet the minister again next week.

The department told the organisation in a letter last month that its services had been terminated because it would not be able to meet the service delivery levels required.