Queues forming outside UJ again
Johannesburg - A group of student hopefuls converged outside the University of Johannesburg again on Wednesday morning, a day after a stampede left one person dead and several injured.
"About 200 students are queuing up at the entrance of the university," said Johannesburg metro police spokesperson Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar.
He said metro police officers were on the scene to control the situation.
"We advise motorists to avoid Annet Road between Enoch Sontonga Avenue and Owl street," he said.
"Our officers are directing the traffic and everything is under control at this stage."
3 people still in hospital
A woman was killed and 22 people were injured when a stampede broke out at the university on Tuesday morning.
Three people critically injured in the stampede were still in hospital on Wednesday morning, an official said.
"They are still in two different hospitals, but at this stage I cannot reveal their conditions," said Johannesburg emergency services spokesperson Nana Radebe.
One of the injured was at Garden City hospital and the others were in Milpark hospital, Radebe said.
She said 17 other people injured in the stampede, had since been discharged from hospital.
Several others were treated on the scene, but were not taken to hospital.
The woman, identified by newspapers as Gloria Sekwena, died while standing in a queue to get into the campus and help her son Kgositsile through the application process.
Late applications closed
The University of Johannesburg reiterated on Wednesday that late applications for first-year study were closed.
"The university is not taking late applications," registrar Prof Marie Muller said in a statement on Wednesday.
The only people who would be allowed entry to the university were those who had applied last year and had been conditionally admitted, subject to space and their matric results.
"Now they will hand in their matric results to see if there is a space available."
The university processed close to 85 300 applications in 2011 for this year's studies. This was higher than the 65 000 applications processed for the 2011 intake.
It can take only 11 000 under-graduate first-year students this year.
It had conditionally admitted 17 000 applicants for first year subject to their final results and space in their chosen programmes.