R1m to kill premier - court told
Durban - One of the five men accused of plotting to kill KwaZulu-Natal premier would have received R1m for orchestrating the killing, the Pinetown Magistrate’s Court heard on Wednesday.
“I put it to you that you were going to receive R1m for killing Premier Dr Zweli Mkhize,” State prosecutor Ncedile Dunywa told Sizwe Mkhize during the bail application of the five.
Dunywa told the court Mkhize had also been involved in Operation Coca Cola and Siyayinyomfa, aimed destabilising peace in KwaZulu-Natal by burning hospitals and schools.
Mkhize had tried to recruit soldiers from Burundi to execute the operation, Dunywa said.
“The State will lead evidence about your active participation in the case.”
Mkhize first refused to answer the questions, saying they were not related to bail application, but later decided to give long explanations.
People in the public gallery laughed when Mkhize started quoting bible verses to stress there was no way he would cause instability in the province.
“I am not a trouble maker. I am a God-fearing person. How can I kill innocent people in hospitals?” Mkhize said.
He said he had worked to resolve tensions between South Africans and foreigners, and had been a police informer since 2007.
Dunywa said the State would lead evidence that Mkhize was never a police spy.
He said the State would bring numerous witnesses and evidence to prove that Mkhize, Themba Xaba and Jackson Chili, both aged 30, Mlungisi Xulu, 24 and Sthembiso Mthembu, 26, were on their way to kill Mkhize when they were arrested in April.
The court heard on Tuesday that Mkhize had previously received a suspended sentence for statutory rape and was also facing a kidnapping and rape charge, for which he was out on bail.
The five face charges of possession of illegal firearms, ammunition and conspiracy to commit murder.
The bail application continues.