Rape accused denied bail

2010-11-02 19:00

Cape Town – Two youths accused of raping a teenage German tourist were denied bail when they appeared in the Eastern Cape's Addo Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, police said.

The youths, aged 17 and 19, would appear again on November 16 and 23 respectively, spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Priscilla Naidu said.

The tourist, a 15-year-old girl, was raped on July 24, allegedly by two males who broke into the Addo holiday chalet she and her 14-year-old cousin were sleeping in.

Earlier on Tuesday, Uitenhage police cluster commander Brigadier Zamutango Mki said in a statement the police investigation was complete and that "we are no longer searching for suspects".

He said the only clue the police had had at the beginning was that one of the suspects had a scratch or scar on his face.